- Dazzling ochre cliffs, sunny fertile valleys, sweeping plateaux and plunging gorges
- Lots of archaeological, botanical and geological interest
- Tiny white villages, forgotten farming hamlets, fascinating cave dwellings
- Cosmopolitan capital Las Palmas: gorgeous beaches, fascinating museums, UNESCO-listed historic center
- Extensive walking options available including two 3 boot walks
- Rental car included
Less than 100 miles off the northwest coast of Africa, in the centre of the Canaries Atlantic Archipelago, the volcanic island of Gran Canaria - often referred to as 'a continent in miniature' with its extraordinarily varied landscapes ranging from lush green forests and valleys in the north, to the towering mountainous interior, to the desert-like dunes and beautiful white beaches of its southern shores. For millennia, the elements have sculpted the most outstanding natural beauty: steep volcanic mountains punctuated by deep palm ravines; huge imposing rocks towering above high plateaux; vast fertile valleys of prickly pear, aloes, almonds and figs - it's little wonder that nearly half of the island is protected by UNESCO Nature Reserves and offers some of the finest hiking in Europe.
On this twin-centre self-guided walking tour, you'll mainly be following well marked, ancient Caminos Reales
- centuries-old royal trading paths lined with broom, heather and the endemic Canarian Pine - as they criss-cross the island linking the mountains to the sea. Highlights this week include: the iconic blood-red rock of Nublo, the shimmering Chira Dam and the 'magic' volcanic cauldron of Bandama whose eruption, over 2000 years ago, influenced the entire geography of the island. You'll also pass fascinating troglodyte villages built by the deeply religious Guanche
(the first inhabitants of the Canaries) 4000 years ago, and have the chance to step back in time to Columbus' seafaring days in the old part of Las Palmas, colourful capital of the island.
You spend your first 4 nights at the Hotel Rural Las Tirajanas, a mountain lodge style hotel with fabulous views of the valley below. For your final 3 nights, you'll head north to **** Melva Suite, a luxury 8-suite hotel set in a lovely estate of tranquil grounds, just 10 minutes' drive from the postcard-pretty white town of Firgas.
Additional Tour Details
||Buffet breakfast and evening meals
||Las Palmas airport. Car rental (Europcar Group B air-conditioned car) included in tour price. Drive to Hotel 1hr.
||Las Palmas airport. Return car to airport.
||Add $26 per night. Not recommended for solo travellers.
||This holiday is unsuitable for children under 12. Room upgrade: prices from $19 per person, per night based on 2 sharing. Extra nights: We recommend Fataga or La Caldera, prices from $103 per person per night, halfboard, based on 2 people sharing a double
||**** (7 nights)